We post a Forward Day by Day Meditation for every day of the year - and we invite you to consider them and talk about them here. If you'd like to comment, please register for an account at Facebook. By checking the "Post to Facebook" box when commenting, you'll be able to find and quickly link back to this page from your Facebook account. You can also find the past week's Meditations in the box at right (or below, for mobile users), or search for previous entries on the Archives page.
John 3:1-2a Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews. He came to Jesus by night.
Though uncomfortable and disorienting, this darkness is not bad, in fact, it may even be womblike. This darkness is not the end of faith but holds the dawn of a new kind of faith. This dark night of the soul guides Nicodemus (and you and me) into the divine mystery that lies beyond understanding, answers, or explanations.
If we are willing to grow in that holy, hidden, dark space, we just might:
• Spend more time listening to what God is saying
• Recognize that God is bigger than the names or attributes we use to describe God
• Allow the wind of God to take us places we might not otherwise consider
• Trust God to call forth from us that which we do not yet realize is within us
• Seek experience instead of answers
• Live eternal life as a present reality
MOVING FORWARD: Spend time talking to Jesus in the holy darkness, and see what you have to say to each other.